By: Sharon Aron Baron
After Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School lost three faculty members after a school shooter took their lives and the lives of 14 of their students, two families decided to raise money to show their thanks during Teacher’s Appreciation Week.
Kim Singer of Coral Springs and Stacie Boyar of Parkland wanted to do something to address the needs of teachers and MSD staff after the school shooting. Stacie, a mental health counselor in Parkland began the project with her daughter Skylar for her Bat Mitzvah project. However, it soon blossomed into something bigger when Kim, a teaching coach for Broward County Public Schools, along with her daughter Ella, joined forces and reached out to other teachers and community members.
Called “ARMing Teachers with Love” donations were received from California, Maryland and California. They even received a donation from as far away as Israel said Kim. In total, the received over $10,000 to fill tote bags for 150 teachers 30 clerical workers and 10 guidance counselors.
Kim said the slogan ‘Arming teachers with love’ wasn’t meant to be political. “We don’t really want to arm teachers, but we want to arm them with love and support.”
The burgandy tote bags are filled with thank you notes, assorted gift cards, stationery, health and beauty products such as soaps and lotions, candy and snacks, journals, lottery tickets, and school supplies along with other items of appreciation. Each bag says #MSDSTRONG and #Armingteacherswithlove.
The totes will be delivered to the school on Wednesday morning where they will be given out at the teacher appreciation luncheon being held later that day.
Stacie and Kim wanted to thank Burdette Beckman, a food broker, who provided them with Toblerone Swiss chocolate, Wonderful Pistachios and Demet’s Turtles. In addition, KIND Snacks and Burt’s Bees provided generous donations as well.
- Sharon Aron Baron is a Parkland resident and editor of Talk Media. She has been covering Parkland news since 2012. Parkland Talk was created to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Parkland.
- News2022.01.20Next Parkland Farmers’ Market Features Public Safety and 90 Vendors
- News2022.01.19Sheriff Tony Attends Parkland’s MLK Day Celebration
- News2022.01.17New Site for Monoclonal Antibody Treatments Opening at Markham Park
- News2022.01.16Winner Chosen for 4 Free Tickets to ‘World’s Largest Bounce House’ in Boca Raton