By Jill Fox
The Parkland Library is open and ready to host its first in-person event since closing during COVID-19–outside with physical distancing, of course.
Each year, Reads for the Record unites millions of adults and children worldwide to read the same book on the same day, all with the same purpose–to raise awareness about the importance of early literacy and access to high-quality books.
Each page of a story will be posted on a separate sign along a path outside of the Parkland Library. To finish the book, children will need to finish the walk.
“We were the first city in Broward County to be a part of the Broward Reads Coalition, which promotes early literacy,” said Vice Mayor Bob Mayersohn, who brought the initiative to the commission four years ago.
Newbery Medalist and New York Times best-selling author Meg Medina wrote this year’s book, “Evelyn Del Ray is Moving Away,” a celebration of lasting friendship, the power of connection, and encountering change.
Due to the event’s proximity to Halloween, participants are encouraged to dress in costumes to enjoy the outdoor stroll through the story.
There will even be a spooky photo spot for a fun picture, a grab-and-go craft to take home, and a little treat bag for each child.
Broward Reads for the Record Storywalk will take place on Thursday, October 29, 2020, from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. at 6620 North University Drive. A Parkland Library card is required for participation.
To register, visit cityofparkland.org.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 News Source, Parkland Talk.
- Jill Fox is an Emmy Award-winning writer and producer. She has worked in public relations and television for over 20 years. Fox lives in Parkland with her husband and their two children.
- News2021.08.04City Selects Lt. Craig Calavetta As New BSO Parkland District Chief
- News2021.08.04Parkland Residents Host First Local Wine And Food Festival
- News2021.08.04Parkland Mah Jongg Players Meet For 2 Summer Gatherings
- News2021.08.03Parkland Principals, Interim Superintendent Address Parents on August 9