By: Matt Rothman
It was an impressive win for the Marjory Stoneman Douglas softball team as they scored 14 unanswered runs to defeat Monarch High School Tuesday night.
The Eagles trailed 2-0 after the first inning but finally saw the offense get going in the fourth. MSD put up four runs in back-to-back innings before they scored six runs in the seventh to earn a 14-2 win.
Offensively, Kayleigh Cuccia shined with seven runs batted in. Evelyn Payton knocked in two, while Kylie Slack, Julia Van Arsdale, and Isabella Silva all had RBI’s.
“Kayleigh is just a freshman, but is one of the best hitters on the team,” said Head Coach Brian Staubly. “She has a bright future.”
Jessie Magee pitched a complete game on the mound and allowed only one earned run, striking out seven.
The win for MSD was their fifth of the season as they had previously beaten Cypress Bay, Deerfield Beach, Coral Springs, and St. Thomas Aquino High School this year.
Up next, they will face J.P. Taravella High School on Wednesday, March 31 at 4:30. p.m.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 news source, Parkland Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. He is now attending the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2021.05.22CHAMPIONS AGAIN: Marjory Stoneman Douglas Baseball Wins 2nd State Championship in 6 Years
- News2021.05.21BREAKING: Marjory Stoneman Douglas Baseball 1 Win Away From State Championship
- News2021.05.15Ordonez’s Walk-Off Home Run Wins Regionals for Marjory Stoneman Douglas Baseball
- News2021.05.13Marjory Stoneman Douglas Baseball Storms Back Late to Advance to Regional Final