By: Matt Rothman
It’s still early in the season, but the Marjory Stoneman Douglas boys and girls lacrosse teams honored their senior class on Thursday.
The girls had an exciting 11-8 win over Cypress Bay for their fourth victory in their seventh game. Their seniors include Ariella Barbati, Gianna Brier, Sara Dorfman, Skylar Gerena, Ofek Gur, Hannah Leon, Julianne LoFurno, Gigi Sgammato, and Zoe Zentefis. They all made a significant impact, with Gerena leading the team with four goals.
Sgammato had a pair of goals, recorded six draw controls, and Dorfman found the back of the net twice. Head Coach Kristina Stein also said LoFurno and Brier played great defense, forced turnovers, and picked up ground balls and interceptions.
The senior class has been with Coach Stein for four years and were all extremely happy to win on Senior Night.
“It’s a great group of girls,” said Coach Stein. “They are fun, loyal, great teammates and leaders. They will truly be missed by the team.”
The boy’s team followed with a 16-6 victory for their third straight while honoring 15 seniors. Those players include Ethan Grose, Anthony Perillo, Connor Greep, Jordan Sullivan, Ethan Rabess, Nathan Kavanaugh, Zack Stevens, Michael LeLack, Gabe MacKenzie, Matthew Burris, Ryan Patton, Ryan Deck, Quinn Kelly, Landon Reuter, and Jake Okulanis.
Sophomore Darren Edenbaum had a historical game in the game with six goals and two assists. Burris recorded two goals, and Deck, Sullivan, Stevens, and Patton scored one for the seniors.
The Eagles were coming off back-to-back wins in their previous two games after beating Boca Raton Community High School 7-5 in a tight defensive battle on March 4. They also beat Ramson Everglades School 13-9 and have a record of 4-4, with their other win coming against North Broward Prep.
Next, the girl’s team will finish their week off with a matchup on Friday, March 11, against Ramson Everglades High School at 6 p.m. The boys will play Calvary Christian Academy on Tuesday, March 15, at 7 p.m.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 news source, Parkland Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. He is now attending the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2022.05.14Marjory Stoneman Douglas Baseball Records Wild Regional Win in District Championship Rematch
- News2022.05.11Sammy Fisher Recognized With Conference Awards After Freshman Season With Elon Lacrosse
- News2022.05.10Marjory Stoneman Douglas Track and Field Makes Their Mark at Regionals
- News2022.05.07Marjory Stoneman Douglas Softball Rallies Back to Win District Championship