By: Matt Rothman
It was a terrific pitching duel of Jesyne Espinal on the mound for the Eagles opposed by Isabella Castelli of Monarch. While both pitchers threw a complete game, Espinal allowed only one run while striking out nine. Castelli did not allow an earned run, but the Eagles were able to take advantage of some miscues from Monarch.
With the Knights leading 1-0 in the bottom of the fifth, Kylah Davis recorded a pinch-hit single. Kylie Sack then reached on an error advancing Davis before Victoria Diaz tied the game with an RBI single.
In the sixth, MSD took their first lead after Isabella Silva reached base with a single and came around to score on a passed ball. Espinal then struck out the side in the seventh to secure the Championship.
“It was a well-played game by both teams,” said Head Coach Brian Staubly. “It’s always great to win districts. Proud and happy for the girls.
The two teams are set to play again in Regionals on Thursday, May 12. The Eagles come in as the three seed and will host, while Monarch is the sixth seed.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 news source, Parkland Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. He is now attending the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2022.05.14Marjory Stoneman Douglas Baseball Records Wild Regional Win in District Championship Rematch
- News2022.05.11Sammy Fisher Recognized With Conference Awards After Freshman Season With Elon Lacrosse
- News2022.05.10Marjory Stoneman Douglas Track and Field Makes Their Mark at Regionals
- News2022.05.07Marjory Stoneman Douglas Softball Rallies Back to Win District Championship