By Ryan Yousefi
With COVID-19 cases spiking all around the state, Parkland Talk continues providing updates from the Florida Department of Health.
According to the Florida Department of Health, as of December 15, there were 1,141 positive COVID-19 cases in Parkland. That’s an increase of 27 positive cases since we last updated readers on December 14.
Statewide in Florida, there have been 1,155,335 positive COVID-19 cases to date. Florida is one of only three states in the U.S. to have recorded over one million COVID-19 cases, with only California and Texas registering more.
There were 140,309 COVID-19 tests conducted in Florida on December 15, with 15,863 coming back positive. Of those positive cases, 11,344 were Floridians testing positive for the first time.
Over the last two weeks, positive test rates have remained steady, ranging from 11.02-percent on November 29 to 11.31-percent on December 15. On December 14, Florida saw the highest positivity rate in months, with 11.96-percent of tests turning up positive.
The average age of a resident to contract COVID-19 in Broward County on December 8 was 41-years-old. For weeks, the average age of a person contracting COVID-19 in Florida has hovered at or around 40-years-old.
Since the pandemic began, there have been 20,204 deaths to date in Florida due to COVID-19 and a total of 58,969 patients hospitalized due to the virus.
Below are cases sorted by Broward County cities:
Fort Lauderdale 27,716
Pompano Beach 12,843
Coral Springs 6,303
Deerfield Beach 3,599
Coconut Creek 2,667
North Lauderdale 2,019
Pembroke Pines 2,087
Oakland Park 1,691
Cooper City 1,218
Lauderdale Lakes 561
Wilton Manors 548
Southwest Ranches 407
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 news source, Parkland Talk.
- Ryan Yousefi has lived in Coral Springs for over 30 years. He has worked as a writer for multiples outlets over the years, including the Miami New Times where he has covered sports and culture since 2013. He holds a Bachelor's Degree and a Master's Degree in Business Healthcare Management from Western Governors University.
- NewsNovember 27, 2023Snow on the Forecast: Annual Snowfest Heads to Parkland on December 14
- NewsNovember 27, 20236th Annual Make Our Schools Safe Tennis Fundraiser Takes Place on December 8
- NewsNovember 26, 2023Parkland Chamber of Commerce Hosts Holiday Party Toy Drive on December 11
- NewsNovember 25, 2023Parkland Man Arrested for Dangerous Street Takeover and Assault on Police Officer in Miami-Dade