By: Matt Rothman
Westglades Middle School had another successful winter season, with both volleyball teams qualifying for the postseason.
The girls finished in second place after making it to the final before losing to Falcon Cove in three tight sets.They previously went 9-0 in North Region Play
“They played with passion, smarts, and drive,” Head Coach Kathryn Cottrell said. “Our captains, Alyssa James and Jayden Minett did a great job of leading the team. I’m sad to see our 8th graders go but know that they will make beneficial additions to any high school team.”
The boys team went 4-2 in the regular season before losing in the first round.
“The boys volleyball season was a tremendous success,” Head Coach Danny Gurr said. “Coach Samantha Pico and I were thrilled with the players we had this year, their work ethic to improve each day, and their dedication to each other. We have a very bright future ahead, but will miss our outgoing eighth graders tremendously.”
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student. He also works for the Mohave Valley Daily News in Bullhead City, Arizona covering high school sports.
- NewsFebruary 25, 20242 Marjory Stoneman Douglas Wrestlers Advance to State Championship
- NewsFebruary 22, 2024Marjory Stoneman Douglas Seals No-Hitter Win in Home-Opener
- NewsFebruary 22, 2024Marjory Stoneman Douglas Softball Begins Season With Win Under New Coach
- NewsFebruary 22, 2024Marjory Stoneman Douglas Marks Historic Day with 6 Athletes Signing College Commitments