By: Sharon Aron Baron
A community event that will fund Parkland nonprofits while introducing participants to mindfulness through yoga and meditation will be held in January.
The 4th Annual Yoga For Life Charity Event will raise funds for six organizations including Lifenet4families and Yoga4MSD, Orange Ribbons for Jaime, Change the Ref, Make Our Schools Safe and Safe Schools for Alex which were founded after the mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School on February 14, 2018.
Since 2017, Ken and Carrie Wiesenfeld have been organizing this event.
“Our community needs continuous healing, and mindfulness, meditation, and yoga are healthy and natural ways to provide that healing,” said Ken.
The event began as a way to share yoga with a small group of teens who had taken the time to volunteer with the Andy’s Pasta Dinner Junior Chef Program and raise money for Lifenet4families. Last year’s event was held at Temple Beth Orr with about 75 in attendance and raised $25,000.
“This year, we decided to expand the event and its beneficiaries to include organizations that were all created after the events of February 14, 2018, each of which we have a personal connection with.”
Also included will be a musical performance from ShineMSD. The event will also be a donation location for those in need in South Florida. They will be collecting new and gently used shoes for the charity In Jacob’s Shoes and donated clothing and toiletries for the charity The Shirt Off My Back.
Yoga Instructors include Melanie Cordover, Lisa Ponczek, Mary Ann Morgan-Fried and Amy Kenny, founder of Yoga4MSD, and the meditation teacher is Shelly Tygielski.
Participants are asked to wear athletic clothing, bring water and a yoga mat. A limited number of yoga mats will be available at the event.
Other nonprofit organizations are being offered tablespace before the programming event to share information with the community. For more information: E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or go to yflcharity.com.
A $25 donation is recommended for adults to attend the event, children and teens are free.
The Yoga For Life Event will be held Sunday, January 26, 2020, from 4:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. at the Coral Springs Gymnasium at 2501 Coral Springs Drive Coral Springs, FL.
- Sharon Aron Baron is a Parkland resident and editor of Talk Media. She has been covering Parkland news since 2012. Parkland Talk was created to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Parkland.
- NewsFebruary 21, 2024Marjory Stoneman Douglas Educator Named Finalist for Career and Technical Education Teacher
- NewsFebruary 20, 2024Lead the Fight at the American Cancer Society’s Relay For Life
- NewsFebruary 20, 2024Congregation Kol Tikvah in Parkland Announces a Weekend of Spiritual Upliftment with Danny Maseng
- NewsFebruary 18, 2024Florida Prepaid College Cuts Prices After Low Tuition Increases