Parkland Commission Approves Maximum Millage Rate, Fire and Solid Waste Assessments

By Bryan Boggiano

The Parkland city commission unanimously approved the maximum millage rate for 2023 to be the same as 2022 at their Wednesday, July 13 meeting.

The rate will be constant at 4.2979. City officials also discussed a rolled-back rate of 4.1970.

Despite the millage rate remaining the same, residents can still expect tax increases due to increased property values.

Desare Kohn Lasky
mr pool
Office Evolution
Mr Impact Windows and Doors Broward County
Incontro Italian Cuisine Steakhouse

Parkland’s gross taxable property value is currently $6,604,385,086. This represents a 9.24 percent increase from 2022’s $6,045,793,309.

The total taxable property value increased by $558,511,777. Of this, about 75 percent comes from existing properties, and the other 25 percent comes from new construction.

Tax increases on existing properties would bring about $1.7 million more to Parkland. New construction would bring about $500,000 more, representing an increase in ad valorem, or city, tax revenue to $26,965,411, or 8.8 percent.

Despite the taxable values increasing, the rate increase represents the lowest in Broward County since almost 82 percent of all homes in Parkland are homesteaded.

For these homes, property taxes cannot increase by more than 3 percent annually.

Chris Johnson, finance director, said that as Parkland approaches build-out, he anticipates that more homes will be homesteaded, and the rate increase for total taxable property values will slow down.

Commissioner Jordan Isrow made the motion to approve the maximum millage rate, which Commissioner Simeon Brier seconded. It passed unanimously.

The commission also discussed preliminarily increasing the fire assessment and solid waste assessments.

For residential properties, the fire assessment would increase from $250 to $290 per year. That rate is still slightly lower than the county’s average of $310.56.

The rate would also increase by $0.6857 per square foot for commercial properties and $0.3654 per square foot for institutional properties.

This comes as fire rescue contractual services increased by $1 million. It would represent the first fire assessment increase in the city since 2019.

The commission ultimately approved the preliminary increase by 4-1. Commissioner Bob Mayersohn opposed it.

For solid waste, rates for residential properties would increase from $402.96 to $417 per year.

The commission also supported this unanimously.

Despite the commission passing all three items, Johnson warned that the millage rate might increase by 2025 as the city approaches build-out and reduces the construction of new houses.

At that time, operation costs could increase for BSO, the Coral Springs-Parkland Fire Department, and a potential new 36-acre park, which would outpace city tax increases.

Mayor Richard Walker said that in the future, the commission must find ways for the city to raise revenue, which could include raising taxes.

“In the next few years, we’re gonna have to start coming up with ways to make sure we’re able to keep up the level of service that our residents are used to,” he said. 

Residents will receive the proposed rate increases on their TRIM notices, which the Broward County Property Appraiser will mail out in August.

City staff will discuss the budget further at two workshops on Aug. 10 and 17 at 6 p.m. at City Hall.

There will also be two public hearings at City Hall on Sept. 12 at 7 p.m. and Sept. 21 at 6 p.m.

Send your news to Parkland’s #1 Award-Winning News Source, Parkland Talk. 

Author Profile

Parkland Commission Approves Maximum Millage Rate, Fire and Solid Waste Assessments 1
Bryan Boggiano
A University of Florida journalism graduate, Bryan plans to pursue geosciences at Florida International University for his master's. He has a strong interest in weather, entertainment, and journalism.