By: Sharon Aron Baron
The Coral Springs-Parkland Fire Department is one of 348 communities in the country to receive an ISO Class 1, also known as a community risk score — after being assessed by the Insurance Service Organization.
This wasn’t the first time. In 2016, they were among 125 departments to receive the Public Protection Classification — which evaluates the effectiveness of fire-mitigation services in communities throughout the country.
More importantly, the rating determines the price of fire insurance in a community – the better the rating, the lower the price, assuming all other factors are equal.
“To say I am proud of our city’s fire department would be an understatement,” said Fire Chief Michael McNally. “Our department has been recognized time and time again by the Public Protection Classification program for providing top-notch fire protection services for citizens and property owners.”
McNally said the department’s mission is to preserve life and property through emergency medical services, fire suppression, risk reduction, public education, and community partnerships. Keeping the ISO Class 1 rating is a testament to their mission and commitment to the safety and wellbeing of the community.
Each year, ISO expert staff analyzes the data collected regarding municipal fire-protection efforts in communities and assigns a Public Protection Classification on a scale of 1-10, with superior property fire protection is classified as Class 1.
When a community invests in fire mitigation, it is proven to be easier to predict future fire losses more effectively, and the PPC program has a significant benefit in its effect on losses. The program measures the connection between excellent fire protection and low fire losses by evaluating statistical data on insurance losses.
Send your news to Parkland Talk.
- Sharon Aron Baron is a Parkland resident and editor of Talk Media. She has been covering Parkland news since 2012. Parkland Talk was created to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Parkland.
- News2021.03.02Broward League of Cities Offering Scholarships to 2021 High School Seniors
- News2021.03.02Live Broward Sheriff’s Office Scanner on Parkland Talk
- News2021.03.02Girl Scout Cookie Sales Are Here: Parkland Locations March 5-7
- News2021.03.01Judge Orders No Bond for Parkland Pediatrician Arrested for Child Porn