By Jill Fox
Chicago Cubs first baseman Anthony Rizzo has once again stepped up to the plate after donating masks to a children’s hospital.
Rizzo, a World Series Champion and three-time MLB All-Star, began his baseball career at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. Known for his community efforts, he has already been helping frontline workers during this difficult time.
In addition to going to bat for healthcare workers by providing them with meals from Parkland restaurants, the Anthony Rizzo Family Foundation donated personal protective equipment (PPE) to Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital to help prevent the spread of COVID-19.
On June 1, Rizzo and his parents, John and Laurie, personally delivered the PPE, primarily masks to the children’s hospital in Hollywood.
Rizzo, who was diagnosed and treated for Hodgkin’s Lymphoma in 2008, said, “Even during a pandemic, we can help, by donating PPE, meals to the nurses, or with all the cancer patient and families we deal with.”
The major leaguer’s foundation donated $1 million to the children’s hospital in November 2019 to help patients and families fighting pediatric cancer. The “Hope 44 Endowed Fund” provides grants for families facing financial hardship during a child’s cancer treatment.
Rizzo said, “The mission never ends; it’s just another step.”
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 News Source Parkland Talk.
- Jill Fox is an Emmy Award-winning writer and producer. She has worked on the public relations side as well as the television side of marketing for NBC Universal. A true Floridian, Fox grew up in Ormond Beach and earned her Bachelor’s Degree in Economics and Advertising from the University of Miami. During college, Fox enjoyed working at Walt Disney World. She loves living in Parkland with her husband, Brian and their two children, Madden, 10 and Randi, 7.
- News2020.09.29Marjory Stoneman Douglas Grad Aims to Educate Voters with Nonpartisan Education Platform
- Schools2020.09.28Gina Rose Montalto Memorial Foundation Awards Total of 3 Scholarships
- News2020.09.27Our Interview with the Four Candidates for City Commission District 1
- News2020.09.253 Marjory Stoneman Douglas Students Create Masks with a Meaning