By: Matt Rothman
In his fourth season with Marjory Stoneman Douglas, the boys basketball team reached the District Final for the first time under Head Coach Teddy Lyons.
“I thought we played solid, and the guys were focused on wanting to get to the District Championship Game,” said Lyons. “We didn’t finish the way we wanted to, but we played really solid basketball for most of the night. When the guys lock in play defensively, the sky is the limit.”
Demerius Summers led the way with 25 points and 11 rebounds. Kevin Thomas also had a double-double, and Jaheim Smith recorded 13 points, including ten in the opening quarter. Coach Lyons also thought Evin Jenkins set the tone defensively along with Jhalen Phang, who had five steals. Nick Frazier also added six points.
MSD is set to play for a District Championship on Friday, Feb. 10, at 7:30 p.m. against either Deerfield Beach High School.The Bucks are also set to host the game after coming in as the top seed in the Dostrict. They went 20-4 in the regular season and defeated Bica Raton Community High School in the District Semifinals.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- NewsSeptember 29, 2023Marjory Stoneman Douglas Football Wins 2023 Pig Bowl For 1st Win Under Coach Hindsley
- NewsSeptember 28, 2023Marjory Stoneman Douglas Grad Coby Mayo Officially Named MVP of the Eastern League
- NewsSeptember 27, 2023Marjory Stoneman Douglas and Westglades Cross Country Dominate in Week 4 Meet
- NewsSeptember 25, 2023Roman Anthony Named Boston Red Sox Minor League Player of the Year