By: Jen Russon
An enchanting musical about the human imagination before it grows older and more cynical is in the works, as Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School’s drama department prepares to put on its annual spring production.
Presented by special arrangement with Theatrical Rights Worldwide, MSD theater director, Melody Herzfeld, and Jared Block assembled a large cast of colorful characters to once again deliver on her school’s exemplary reputation for professional-grade theater.
IMAGINARY: A New Musical was written by Timothy Knapman and debuted at the National Youth Music Theater in London in 2017. Stuart Matthew Pryce wrote the play’s infectious music and lyrics.
Pryce and Knapman are both artists from the United Kingdom. Knapman is the author of the best-selling children’s books, Mungo and the Picture Book and Pirates and Dinosaurs in the Supermarket. Knapman is a British actor, dancer, and West End stage and concert singer, best known for playing Riff Raff in three European tours of The Rocky Horror Show.
The adventuresome plot they came up with focuses on the wonder of childhood, the power of the imagination, and what it means to grow up. With a big band sound to its overture, IMAGINARY has catchy tunes, such as “The Last Day of Summer,” “The Headmaster’s Office,” and “Oogie Boogie Woogie.”
Caroline Eaton, the drama department publicity manager, said this is the most fun she thinks she’s ever had on stage.
“Nobody is doing this play who doesn’t want to be there and loving every minute of it. It’s an incredibly fun production, and we know that will come through in our performances,” Eaton said.
So, prepare to be led into Imaginary Land, unsure until the end in this brilliant play, who is real and who is not.
IMAGINARY runs from Thursday, March 5 through Saturday, March 7, at 7 p.m. Tickets are $8 for students and $13 for adults and may be purchased online at SeatYourself.Biz. Tickets may also be purchased at the door.
Marjory Stoneman Douglas is located in Parkland at 5901 Pine Island Road.
- Jen Russon is a freelance writer and English Language Arts teacher. She has published two novels to Amazon Kindle and lives in Coral Springs with her family.
- News2020.03.10Alyssa’s Law Poised to Become ‘Law of the Land’ after Unanimous House Vote
- Dining2020.03.10Latin Corner Bistro Adds More Mojo to the Menu at Location Near Parkland
- Events2020.03.05Next Stop Broadway Is the ‘Happiest Place on Earth’ for Summer Camp 2020
- Events2020.03.03Tickets on Sale for Marjory Stoneman Douglas Drama’s ‘IMAGINARY: A New Musical’