By: Matt Rothman
The Marjory Stoneman Douglas girl’s lacrosse team has been on a run the past few seasons.
The Eagles appeared to be getting into top form until COVID 19 shutdown the season. MSD won their first seven games outscoring their opponents 120-19.
While the team consists of many underclassmen, they had three seniors make a significant impact on the program with Chantal Jimenez, Kenya Warner, and Sari Kaufman, who won Districts every year for the team.
“They were all starters and our three captains,” said Head Coach Kristina Stein. “They will all be sorely missed by our team next year.”
Jimenez is the lone senior to be playing at the collegiate level for Indiana University of Pennsylvania next year. She had 13 goals, eight assists, and 33 draw controls this season.
Warner was a goaltender and will be attending the University of Florida. Despite not being tested much in games, she still finished the season with three shutouts and allowed less than three goals five times this year.
Kaufman helped in that sense as well, playing defense in front of Warner. She will be studying at Yale University in the fall.
MSD appears to be on the rise with many younger players next season. Coach Stein is also very excited about some of the girls coming from Westglades Middle School, who she thinks can make an impact right away.
For example, their leading scorer, Lauren Figas, who scored 22 goals still has another year left and their assist leader, Carli Fleisher, was only a sophomore this season.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 News Source Parkland Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. He is now attending the University of Florida as a graduate student. Matt also covers the New York Islanders for The Hockey Writer, the New York Mets for Last Word on Baseball and Florida Gators Athletics for ESPN Gainesville. He has also worked for the Naples Herald, Collier Sports Insider and was an assistant sports editor for his school newspaper.
- News2021.02.25Marjory Stoneman Douglas Softball Win 1st Game With Strong Offense
- News2021.02.24Marjory Stoneman Douglas Girls Soccer Victorious in Regionals, Advance to States
- News2021.02.23Marjory Stoneman Douglas Boy’s Soccer Complete Historic Season With 4 Postseason Victories
- News2021.02.21Marjory Stoneman Douglas Matt O’Dowd Set to Continue Football Career at LSU