By: Matt Rothman
Marjory Stoneman Douglas’ Olivia Alvarez officially announced her commitment to play college softball at Rollins College in Winter Park, Florida.
“Committing to my top school showed me that all of my hard work had paid off, and it pushed me to work harder and keep improving,” said Alvarez.
Alvarez began playing softball at eight, played for the Youth Softball Association of Coral Springs, then decided to play travel softball with the Coral Springs Panthers, Boca Impact, Diamond Dusters, Jacksonville Storm, and Lady Dukes.
She has been on the varsity softball team for three years, and in 39 games, she has a .352 batting average with two home runs and 24 RBIs.
Alvarez also participated for Team Columbia in the South American Bolivarian Games. Her team went 4-2 and won a silver medal, while Alvarez recorded a game-winning triple in the quarterfinals.
“We are happy and thrilled that Oliva committed to her number one school, Rollins College,” said Head Coach Brian Staubly. “With Oliva’s work ethic and talent, she can become one of the better players on the team and conference.”
Alvarez is the second Eagle to commit to Rollins College in the last two years, joining 2021 MSD graduate Carly Brodsky from the girl’s soccer team. Alvarez will also play alongside Coral Springs Charter teammate Bella Bertorelli, who committed on Friday.
“I was able to attend a camp and meet Coach Roser and some of the current players, and I knew that I wanted to attend Rollins after seeing how much fun they have and their team chemistry,” Alvarez added.
While she still has one year left on varsity, she hopes to spend a lot of time in the weight room to get stronger and in the batting cages to become more consistent. Rollins College is coming off a season where they made it to the third round of the NCAA South Region and went 32-12.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2023.01.30Rocco Duygulu Wins Wrestling BCAA Championship For Marjory Stoneman Douglas; Team Finishes 4th
- News2023.01.27Marjory Stoneman Douglas Boys Soccer Advances to District Final; Both Basketball Teams Win
- News2023.01.26Former Marjory Stoneman Douglas State Champ Rolando Lujo Hits First Career College Home Run
- News2023.01.25Christian Rodriguez Named ‘Preseason All-American’ For Marjory Stoneman Douglas Baseball