By: Matt Rothman
It has been one of the greatest seasons for the Marjory Stoneman Douglas girls soccer team, and it is far from finished.
The Eagles picked up a dominating 5-0 win over J.P. Taravella High School Thursday night to advance to the District Final.
“Taravella played hard and defended excellent, making it difficult to get that first goal,” said Head Coach Laura Rountree. “We were fortunate to score two quick goals right at the end of the first half and execute better in the second half. We are excited to be playing on Monday.”
Gianna Rizzo scored a pair of goals while Kendall Slack, Morgan Goldman, and Layla Segelnick had one. The Eagles went 10-1-3 in the regular season and had their only loss come against St. Thomas Aquinas High School on January 14.
Next, MSD will play Coral Glades High School in the District Semifinals for a third straight season. The Eagles have outscored the Jaguars 9-0 in those two games and also beat Coral Glades 4-0 in their meeting during the regular season.
Kickoff is set for Monday, January 31, 4 p.m. at Coral Glades High School.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 news source, Parkland Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student. He also works for the Mohave Valley Daily News in Bullhead City, Arizona covering high school sports.
- NewsMarch 1, 2024Marjory Stoneman Douglas Baseball Wins Another BCAA Championship
- NewsFebruary 29, 2024Marjory Stoneman Douglas Girls Soccer Season Ends in State Semifinals
- NewsFebruary 28, 20245 Parkland Travel Soccer Teams Win Championship
- NewsFebruary 25, 20242 Marjory Stoneman Douglas Wrestlers Advance to State Championship