By Sharon Aron Baron
A doctor was arrested Tuesday morning by Broward Sheriff’s Office Internet Crimes Against Children (ICAC) detectives after a joint investigation with Coral Springs Police Department revealed that he sent sexually explicit messages and photographs to an underage victim.
Detectives obtained information that in early April, Stewart Bitman, 64, of Parkland’s Pine Tree Estates sent a number of sexual text messages and nude photos of himself to a 13-year-old child. Detectives believe Bitman knew he was communicating with a minor, and while attempting to solicit victims, he portrayed himself as a teenage boy.
During the search warrant executed at Bitman’s home Tuesday morning with assistance from BSO SWAT team members, he was taken into custody. Numerous electronic devices were seized for further forensic analysis.
Bitman, a Coral Springs gastroenterologist, was booked at the BSO Main Jail. He faces three counts of transmission of material harmful to a minor and one count of solicitation of a minor. The investigation is ongoing. Detectives are working to identify additional victims with whom Bitman may have communicated.
BSO ICAC detectives ask anyone with information regarding this case or anyone whose child may have been a victim of Bitman to contact BSO ICAC Detective Jennifer Montgomery at 954-888-5290.
If you wish to remain anonymous, contact Broward Crime Stoppers at 954-493-TIPS (8477) or online at browardcrimestoppers.org.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 news source, Parkland Talk.
- Sharon Aron Baron is a Parkland resident and editor of Talk Media. She has been covering Parkland news since 2012. Parkland Talk was created to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Parkland.
- NewsFebruary 21, 2024Marjory Stoneman Douglas Educator Named Finalist for Career and Technical Education Teacher
- NewsFebruary 20, 2024Lead the Fight at the American Cancer Society’s Relay For Life
- NewsFebruary 20, 2024Congregation Kol Tikvah in Parkland Announces a Weekend of Spiritual Upliftment with Danny Maseng
- NewsFebruary 18, 2024Florida Prepaid College Cuts Prices After Low Tuition Increases