By Sharon Aron Baron
Thanks to their advocacy during the latest legislative session, the Florida League of Cities has recognized Parkland Mayor Christine Hunschofsky and Vice Mayor Bob Mayersohn with 2020 Home Rule Hero awards.
This honor recognizes their efforts in promoting the voice of Parkland during the most recent legislative session.
Recipients of this award are those who repeatedly reached out to members of the legislature to advocate on behalf of their city and to provide a local perspective on issues. Home Rule is the ability of municipalities to address local problems with local solutions and minimal state input. The work of Mayor Hunschofsky and Vice Mayor Mayersohn has served to promote “local voices making local choices,” according to the Florida League of Cities (FLC).
FLC Legislative Director Scott Dudley said these are some of the most prominent advocates for municipal issues, and they’re shining examples of local advocacy in action.
“On behalf of the League and its legislative team, we’re proud to recognize each of them, and we thank them for their service,” he said.
- Sharon Aron Baron is a Parkland resident and editor of Talk Media. She has been covering Parkland news since 2012. Parkland Talk was created to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Parkland.
- News2020.11.28Broward County Public Schools Awarded Grants to Broaden Participation in Computer Science
- News2020.11.27Cash and Jewelry Stolen from Residents at a Parkland Senior Living Center
- Events2020.11.22Bulk Trash Schedule for Parkland in November and December
- Crime & Safety2020.11.19Animal Bite, Assault, and Auto Theft This Week in Parkland Crime