By: Sharon Aron Baron
The Greater Broward Chapter of The Pap Corps held their kickoff “Martinis & Meatballs” event last Friday night to a packed crowd in Heron Bay.
The Pap Corps, Champions for Cancer Research is one of the largest, grassroots fundraising organizations in South Florida with more than 50 chapters and 21,000 members, all dedicated to supporting research for all types of cancer at Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center. Since 1952, The Pap Corps has donated almost $60 million dollars. The Greater Broward Chapter includes members from Coral Springs, Parkland, Coconut Creek, Plantation, Boca, and Tamarac.
In attendance, was David Bakelman, CEO, who congratulated the chapter for having the lowest administrative costs in the organization at 13 percent, which means more money will be donated to help fund cancer research. According to Communications/Marketing Vice President Janice Weinsoff, costs were kept low at their kick-off because members made the meatballs as well as donated the wine.
“Even our server, Lisa Filizzola from Lisa’s Servers & Party Planners, donated 100 percent of her time,” said Weinsoff.
That evening, cancer survivor Dora Sannasardo donated a check to the chapter for $3,400 and shared her story about being a participant in a clinical study that has taken her from stage IV ovarian cancer to remission.
The winner of their 50/50 raffle was member Andrea Hammer, and instead of accepting the $600 cash prize she donated it back to the organization.
The next event is the Greater Broward 2nd Annual Golf Tournament on Sunday, November 5 at the Woodlands Country Club. Raffle prizes, and silent auction items include a photo opportunity to Y-100’s Jingle Ball, two tickets to a Miami Heat game, a set of men’s and women’s golf clubs, a case of Robert Mondavi Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon, a month membership to Harbor Beach Marriott Beach Club, plus donated raffles from area restaurants, nail salons and boutiques.
The cost is $135 per golfer or $30 to attend the luncheon only. Those interested can sign up online at the Greater Broward 2nd Annual Golf Tournament.
- Sharon Aron Baron is a Parkland resident and editor of Talk Media. she has been covering Parkland news since 2012. Parkland Talk was created to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Parkland.
- News2020.01.24Marjory Stoneman Douglas Calls Code Yellow After Students Jump Fence
- News2020.01.21Governor Ron DeSantis Appoints Ryan Petty to the State Board of Education
- News2020.01.21Lucky’s Closes South Florida Stores including Coral Springs Location
- News2020.01.20Parkland Retirement Senior Center Opens New Dog Park for Residents