By: Matt Rothman
In only her second game with North Broward Prep, Riley Weiss set a school record with 50 points in the Eagles’ 83-44 win over Boca Raton Christian High School on Nov. 18.
Weiss, signed to play at Columbia University, also set the school record with nine three-pointers and tied it with 12 steals.
Transferring to North Broward Prep for her senior year after starting her high school career in New York with Hewlett High School, Weiss was the Long Island Class A Player of the Year, 1st Team All Long Island, All-State Selection, Conference Player of the Year, had over 2,000 points, and made the most threes on Long Island.
— Riley Weiss (@rileyweiss_) October 26, 2022
“She was locked in from the moment the game started,” said Head Coach Gardner Michel. “She had great ball pressure to force steals and was finishing at the basket and knocked down every shot from beyond the three-point line.”
Alexa Schwartz also shined, adding 12 points, seven assists, six steals, and six rebounds. Kaydie Sturm added nine points and had eight rebounds and four assists. Both those players were All-County selections, while Mia Leddung was also All-County last year.
Coach Gardner and the rest of his coaching staff, consisting of Jeff Weiss, Kayla Kelly, and Anthony Capra, said they were also able to get their win by taking care of the basketball and playing solid team defense.
Their team consists of Samantha Edelson, Gemma Clouse, Kylie Cohen, Ella Scheckner, Marissa Krumholz, Meadow Henningsen, Ella Rosen, Alexa Schwartz, Jiayi Zhou, Ana Abelleira, and Makena Longo.
The Eagles improved their record to 1-1 after winning 12 games a season ago. Next, NBP plays Gulliver Prep on Tuesday, Nov. 29 at 7 p.m. The. Raiders are 2-1 this year with wins over Marathon and Reagan High School, with their loss coming against Benjamin High School. These two teams met last year, with Gulliver Prep winning 89-57.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2023.02.07Marjory Stoneman Douglas Girls Soccer Advances to Regional Semifinals
- News2023.02.07Parkland Pokers’ Evan Stramanak Wins Perfect Game ‘Player of the Year’
- News2023.02.06Marjory Stoneman Douglas Boys Basketball Team Wins 1st Playoff Game
- News2023.02.04Marjory Stoneman Douglas Cheerleading Team Finishes 3rd in State Championship