By: Chris Brunner
This month, Parkland students can earn service hours while helping clean up local beaches as a part of the Ocean Conservancy’s 33rd Annual International Coastal Cleanup.
During the 2017 International Coastal Cleanup, 1,629 Broward County volunteers removed 8,057 pounds of trash from our coastline while more than 20 million pounds of trash were collected by more than 789,000 volunteers worldwide.
On September 15, from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m., Broward’s Environmental Planning and Community Resilience Division is organizing a beach cleanup at 12 different locations.
- Deerfield: Deerfield Island Park and Deerfield Beach
- Pompano Beach at Pavilion #2
- Lauderdale-by-the-Sea at El Prado Park
- Ft. Lauderdale: Earl Lifshey Park, Hugh Taylor Birch State Park, and South Beach Park
- Dania Beach: Dr. Von D. Mizell-Eula Johnson State Park at the Marina Pavilion and Dania Beach
- Hollywood: North Beach Park and Oceanwalk
- Hallandale Beach: South City Beach Park
Students need to show up at one of the Coastal Cleanup sites, register and participate. After the event, the site captain can sign the community service school form or issue one from the county.
All volunteers should bring a hat, sunscreen, gloves, and water. A single individual can participate in this event and kids of all ages are welcome, with the direct supervision of a parent or legal guardian. Materials for the cleanup are provided by Broward County (trash bags, gloves, data cards). After your participation, you are eligible to receive an event t-shirt (limited amount) and community service hours.
To volunteer at one of Broward’s 12 locations, email email@example.com. Be sure to include your contact information, the site you wish to attend, and the number of people in your group.
- Sharon Aron Baron is a Parkland resident and editor of Talk Media. She has been covering Parkland news since 2012. Parkland Talk was created to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Parkland.
- News2021.01.23Marjory Stoneman Douglas Climate Sustainability Club Holds Fundraiser
- News2021.01.213 Men Arrested for Loitering, Prowling, This Week in Parkland Crime
- News2021.01.21State COVID-19 Vaccine Appointment Scheduling System Now Up in Broward County
- News2021.01.21Polsky and Grieco Refile Legislation to Ban Conversion Therapy on Minors