By Sharon Aron Baron
The FSU College of Medicine Summer Institute is searching for approximately 80 high school sophomores or juniors interested in the field of medicine. However, due to the seriousness of the COVID-19 pandemic, FSU has decided to hold the Summer Institute as a virtual camp experience for the Summer of 2021.
Here are some of the activities:
- Surgery Videos and Live Chat with Surgeon
- Rural Medicine Tour and Engagement Activity
- Medical Faculty Workshops
- Vital Signs Workshop and CPR Training
- Admission and Financial Aid Seminars
- College Preparedness Seminars
- Medical Ethics Workshop
- Medical Student Mentoring
- Virtual Anatomy Tour and Live Chat with Medical Students
- Recreational Activities
- Research Project on a Health Topic (Team Activity)
- Research Group Presentations (Competition)
- Awards Ceremony
Open to students who have completed their sophomore or junior year of high school by the summer, applicants are selected on having a 3.3 minimum grade point average, their performance in college-preparatory math and science courses, a 500-word minimum essay, and letters of recommendation from a science teacher and guidance counselor.
“This is a wonderful opportunity to explore the medical field and to begin to understand how your personality would fit in this field,” said former Marjory Stoneman Douglas college/career guidance counselor, Ana Farrand. “Also, you get to ask all questions related to this career.”
There are two program dates. Session 1 is from June 21 – 25, 2021, and Session 2 July 12 – 16, 2021. The cost is $550, which covers camp materials and activities.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 news source, Parkland Talk.
- Sharon Aron Baron is a Parkland resident and editor of Talk Media. She has been covering Parkland news since 2012. Parkland Talk was created to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Parkland.
- News2021.07.29Parkland BSO Holds Shred-A-Thon and Operation Medicine Cabinet July 31
- News2021.07.19Marjory Stoneman Douglas Eagle Regiment Holds Car Wash Fundraiser
- News2021.07.13North Springs Improvement District Drinking Water Undergoing Routine Chlorination July 15
- News2021.07.12Parkland BSO Holds Shred-A-Thon and Operation Medicine Cabinet July 31