By: Matt Rothman
It was a special evening on Monday night at Marjory Stoneman Douglas as graduate and Chicago Cubs first basemen, Anthony Rizzo, unveiled the new lights and new name of the baseball field.
The Eagles will now be playing their home games at Anthony Rizzo Field under the lights. Head Coach Todd-Fitz-Gerald said the lights would make things easier for the players’ parents and other fans who want to attend games. He began getting the ball rolling for the lights with the help of former Principal Ty Thompson and reached out to the former player.
After a large fundraiser called “A Night Under the Lights with Anthony Rizzo” in 2018 which raised $150,000 in donations from Rizzo and others, enough funds were raised to light the baseball field for the first time Monday night.
While Rizzo has seen so much success in the MLB winning the Cubs’ first World Series in 108 years, he was clearly touched by all the support.
“My dream was to play Major League Baseball, but it started in Parkland in little league and high school,” Rizzo said. I always wanted to play under the lights here, and we were never able to, and now, with state-of-the-art lights, it can make the experience a lot better for the kids.”
Both the baseball team and softball team had their first practice with the lights following the ceremony and will be opening their new season on February 7.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor's degree in journalism. Originally from Long Island, he moved to Parkland shortly after high school. Along with Parkland Talk, Matt is the lone contributing writer for the New York Islanders with The Hockey Writers. He worked as the Assistant Sports Editor for his school paper, Eagle News.
- News2020.03.22Frais Becomes First Marjory Stoneman Douglas Wrestler to Place at States since 2011
- Schools2020.03.11Marjory Stoneman Douglas Boy’s and Girl’s Tennis Making a Positive Impact for the Community
- News2020.03.11Lujo Hits Walk-Off in Marjory Stoneman Douglas’ Baseball Victory
- News2020.03.11Figas Continues to Shine Helping Marjory Stoneman Douglas Girl’s Lacrosse to 7-0 Start