By: Matt Rothman
The Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School marching band had a unique experience performing for both Fox and Friends as well as the pregame of this year’s Super Bowl.
Consisting of over 150 musicians, the Eagle Regiment is led by Band Director Steve Rivero in his first year with the school.
A week ago, they were asked to perform on the morning show Fox and Friends in South Beach and had the opportunity on two different occasions as well. First, they began playing over the bridge near the main entrance for fans arriving at the stadium around 2:00 p.m. Then, at a different stage for hundreds of people waiting to go into the stadium at 4:00 p.m.
“The students did great,” Rivero said. “It was a great experience. They got some nice positive coverage.”
The Eagle Regiment has had a terrific season performing in many competitions. After coming off of winning States for two years, they finished in second place this year, despite leading after preliminary rounds.
In Nationals, held in Orlando, they finished in fifth place and won the Falcon Sound Invitational held at Flannagan Hich School.
Up next, Eagle Regiment members will be honoring Parkland victims Alex Schachter and Gina Montalto with a flag for the homecoming parade. Gina was a member of the winter guard, and Alex played trombone in both band and orchestra.
In late 2020, they will be traveling to London to perform on New Year’s Day and spend time in the city during winter break.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor's degree in journalism. Originally from Long Island, he moved to Parkland shortly after high school. Along with Parkland Talk, Matt is the lone contributing writer for the New York Islanders with The Hockey Writers. He worked as the Assistant Sports Editor for his school paper, Eagle News.
- News2021.01.14Marjory Stoneman Douglas Defensive End Nick Dobbs Commits to College
- News2021.01.08Marjory Stoneman Douglas Girls Basketball Begin 2021 Season Under Coach Carter
- News2021.01.06Marjory Stoneman Douglas Boys Basketball Start 2021 with Back to Back Wins
- News2021.01.06Marjory Stoneman Douglas Girls Soccer Start Season 2-0