By: Matt Rothman
The incredible run for the Marjory Stoneman Douglas baseball team continued this week with a pair of wins on Tuesday and Thursday to move to 15-0.
Not only did the Eagles beat the two-time reigning State Champions in North Broward Prep on Tuesday, but they also defeated the number two ranked team in the State in Archbishop McCarthy High School.
“That’s why I schedule tough,” said Head Coach Todd Fitz-Gerald. “I want to put my guys in the toughest positions possible to handle adversity. I couldn’t be happier for the boys. They have played their hearts out in the last five games.”
Christian Rodriguez started for MSD against NBP, allowed two runs, and struck out 14 to win his sixth game. Offensively, Matt Ossenfort hit his team-leading fifth home run of the season. Alex Rodriguez also tripled in the game and scored on a passed ball, while Niko Benestad had an RBI.
MSD then recorded their 15th straight win to start the season with their 2-1 win over Mavericks. Jayden Dubanewicz improved to 5-0 with a complete game. The University of Florida commit allowed only one run on four hits and struck out eight.
Despite falling behind 1-0. Erick Torres started the third with a hit before Devin Fitz-Gerald smacked a two-run double. Ossenfort then started the fourth inning with a hit and came around to score the game-winning run on an error.
“I knew I was given the ball for a reason,” Dubanewicz said. “I just had to go out there and pitch my game. I had every pitch working tonight, and that’s what helped me get through all seven innings.”
Next, MSD will play Bishop Verot High School on Tuesday, April 4 at 6:30 p.m. The Vikings come into the game with a record of 11-7.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- NewsSeptember 23, 2023Marjory Stoneman Douglas Shows Resilience Despite Setback: Gears Up for the Anticipated Pig Bowl Showdown
- NewsSeptember 22, 2023Marjory Stoneman Douglas Swim Records Wins Over Monarch and Northeast
- NewsSeptember 21, 2023Marjory Stoneman Douglas Girls Volleyball Moves to 10-1 With Senior Night Win
- NewsSeptember 21, 2023Soccer Star Gianna Rizzo of Marjory Stoneman Douglas Announces College Pick