By: Matt Rothman
The Marjory Stoneman Douglas boys and girls soccer teams picked up wins in a rematch of last season’s District Championship matches.
The boys’ team beat Coral Glades with an overtime goal from Cole Irmi in the final, while the girls’ team defeated Coral Glades 4-0 last year. The results were a lot similar Wednesday night.
The Egles played a great game defensively and earned the shutout win. Senior Bruno DeFalco made several key saves while both Mauricio Jimenez and Danny Garcia recorded goals for the Eagles.
“We knew they would come out strong same having faced them in the District Championship,” said Head Coach Christopher Chacon. “It was great that we didn’t take this opportunity for granted, and we wanted to finish strong.”
MSD moves to 7-1 this year and will have one more game this week on Friday, January 14, against St. Thomas Aquinas High School. The Raiders are currently 11-4-3 this season and have not been beat in their last five matchups.
It was a night to remember for senior Skylar Lund in the girls’ game. After Kendall Slack scored the opening goal, Lund recorded the next three in the Eagles 4-0 win.
“Skylar is a fierce competitor and an excellent leader who had a tremendous second half tonight scoring a hat trick,” said Head Coach Laura Rountree.
Samantha Novik, Gianna Rizzo, Sahai Simmons, and Kyra Tuesta recorded assists.
With the win, MSD moves to 9-0-2 with only three games left. The Eagles face St. Thomas Aquinas High School on Friday, January 14, at 6 p.m. They come in with a record of 13-1-1.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 news source, Parkland Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. He is now attending the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2022.01.28Marjory Stoneman Douglas Boys Wins 16th Basketball Game
- News2022.01.28Marjory Stoneman Douglas Soccer Advances to Another District Final
- News2022.01.24Marjory Stoneman Douglas Boys Basketball Picks Up 15th Win on Senior Night
- News2022.01.24Marjory Stoneman Douglas Girls Basketball Finishes Regular Season With Senior Night Win