By: Matt Rothman
The Marjory Stoneman Douglas golf teams continued their terrific season, with the boys winning the BCAA Damian Huttenhoff Championship. At the same time, the girls came in second place at the Country Club of Coral Springs.
The boys team was led by Evan Mazanec, who shot a 74 and placed fifth individually. Jayden Thurasingham and Ryan Shimony tied for ninth with a 74, while Carson Meredith and Josh Lieberman placed in the top 13 with a 77 and 78, respectively.
“I’m very proud of the team for coming in with five scores breaking 80,” Head Coach Darren Levine said. ” They’ve been working hard throughout the season to put it all together and today they followed through, literally. This is a great boost going into the final few weeks of the season.”
The girls team finished in second place, 14 shots back of St. Thomas Aquinas, with Ella Mamane tying for second place with a 79. Sutton Oosterhuis recorded an 80 to come in fifth, while Sophie Alcala-Marks came in 18th, and Ella Thompson placed 24th.
Head Coach Jonathan Smith said his team played well on the front nine with some birdies but struggled a little bit on the back in their first 18-hole tournament of the season.
“All in all, I’m proud of the girls, and it was nice to take home some hardware for the school,” Smith said. “Still have four matches left this year and then post-season play, so the job is not done.”
Next, the boy’s team will be back in action on Tuesday, October 10th, at Deer Creek Golf Club against Coral Glades, J.P. Taravella in Deerfield Beach, while the girls will play their next match on Wednesday against Western High School.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student. He also works for the Mohave Valley Daily News in Bullhead City, Arizona covering high school sports.
- NewsNovember 29, 2023Marjory Stoneman Douglas Soccer Face Coral Glades; Girls Basketball Begins Season
- NewsNovember 27, 2023Marjory Stoneman Douglas Boys Soccer Records 1st Win With Offensive Explosion
- NewsNovember 27, 2023Parkland Pokers 12U Baseball Team Set to Host Tryouts on Tuesday
- NewsNovember 27, 2023Marjory Stoneman Douglas Boys Basketball Opens Regular Season With Win