By: Matt Rothman
The Marjory Stoneman Douglas girls golf team is off to a great start under new coach, Jonathan Smith.
The Eagles won their first season match on Tuesday against North Broward Prep, with Smith picking up his first win. He has been teaching golf for over a decade and works at the Mike Richards Golf Academy. Smith is PGA Certified and was familiar with the Eagles before taking over for Coach Devin Schaller.
Ella Mamane and Sutton Oosterhuis led the way with 41 during their win over North Broward Prep on Tuesday. Sophie Alcala-Marks and Cassidy Charles recorded 49s, while Samantha Schwartz and Amanda Richmond competed.
The Eagles went on to win by 19 strokes in their next match against Cardinal Gibbons at Woodmont Country Club, with Mamane registering a 38. Oosterhuis shot another 41 while all six golfers scored below 50. Alcala Marks had a 44, and Ella Thompson recorded a 45 to finish fourth on the team.
Next, MSD will compete against St. Thomas Aquinas High School on Wednesday, September 13.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- NewsSeptember 23, 2023Marjory Stoneman Douglas Shows Resilience Despite Setback: Gears Up for the Anticipated Pig Bowl Showdown
- NewsSeptember 22, 2023Marjory Stoneman Douglas Swim Records Wins Over Monarch and Northeast
- NewsSeptember 21, 2023Marjory Stoneman Douglas Girls Volleyball Moves to 10-1 With Senior Night Win
- NewsSeptember 21, 2023Soccer Star Gianna Rizzo of Marjory Stoneman Douglas Announces College Pick