By: Matt Rothman
It was quite the two days for Marjory Stoneman Douglas, with the boys soccer team advancing to the District Final and both boys and girls basketball teams picking up wins to close the week.
The boys soccer team defeated Coral Glades 3-0 on Friday to move on to the final after falling to the Jaguars in the District Semifinals a year ago. Tomer Yair recorded his tenth goal of the season in the victory. Joquin Gonzales and Henrique Smith also recorded goals for the team’s 11th win this season.
Next, they will face Monarch High School in the Championship Game on Monday, Jan. 30 at 4 p.m. Monarch beat the Eagles 3-1 in their only meeting in the season in November and also picked up a 3-1 victory over Coral Springs High School in the District Semifinals.
The boys basketball team completed an incredible week with a win over Coconut Creek High School on Thursday.
“We’re finding our footing as a group,” said Head Coach Teddy Lyons. “The guys are buying into each other, and that’s the great thing about this team. When guys start to believe in one another, the mission becomes easy to teach.”
After dropping four straight earlier this month, the Eagles have responded with four consecutive wins to push their record to 17-5. They will look for their 18th win on Monday, Jan. 30, at 6 p.m. against Hallandale High School.
The girls basketball team started the season slowly but has been red-hot of late. They beat Coconut Creek High School 39-30 for their third win of the season. Stella Marvel and Madelyn Feldman led the Eagles in scoring.
They head into the District Tournament as the seven seed and will play Park Vista High School on Tuesday, Jan. 31. The Cobras come into the game with a record of 14-5 and have won six of their past seven games.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 Award-Winning News Source, Parkland Talk. Don’t miss reading Coral Springs Talk, Margate Talk, and Tamarac Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2023.03.182 Marjory Stoneman Douglas Athletes Place Third in BCAA Track and Field Championship
- News2023.03.18Marjory Stoneman Douglas Water Polo Closes Regular Season With Senior Night
- News2023.03.17MSD Graduate Jesus Luzardo Records Win for Team Venezuela in World Baseball Classic
- News2023.03.153 Marjory Stoneman Douglas Basketball Players Selected to BCAA All-Star Game