By: Matt Rothman
The Marjory Stoneman Douglas girls soccer team took the field for the first time in a preseason game against Boca Raton Community High School on Wednesday.
Facing a team that was eliminated in the postseason in 2021 and won 20 games last year, MSD settled for a 1-1 draw, with Gianna Rizzo scoring the lone goal.
“I was real proud of the energy we came out with tonight, Heac Coach Laura Rountree said. “Boca is a great team, and it is always a learning experience to play them in a preseason game.”
The Eagles are coming off a season where they won their fifth straight District Championship and had 16 wins before falling 1-0 against Cypress Bay in the Regional Final. MSD had zero seniors graduate and head into the 2023-24 season with a loaded team featuring three players already committed to playing college soccer.
They will begin the regular season with a matchup on Thursday, November 9, at 6:30 p.m. against American Heritage. The Stallions went 14-2-1 last season, making it to the State Championship.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student. He also works for the Mohave Valley Daily News in Bullhead City, Arizona covering high school sports.
- NewsNovember 29, 2023Marjory Stoneman Douglas Soccer Face Coral Glades; Girls Basketball Begins Season
- NewsNovember 27, 2023Marjory Stoneman Douglas Boys Soccer Records 1st Win With Offensive Explosion
- NewsNovember 27, 2023Parkland Pokers 12U Baseball Team Set to Host Tryouts on Tuesday
- NewsNovember 27, 2023Marjory Stoneman Douglas Boys Basketball Opens Regular Season With Win