By: Matt Rothman
Marjory Stoneman Douglas girls swim team made history with a sensational performance in the District Championship.
The Eagles took first place behind several swimmers on Thursday and qualified for Regionals in all three relays. MSD won the 200-yard medley relay with Nicole Creed, Valeria Anzures, Sofia Barrios, Valeria Anzures, Anna Rosa, and the 200-yard free relay with Anzures, Payton Ward, Rosa, and Creed.
Then, in the 400- yard freestyle relay, MSD swam a tremendous race and finished in second with Teryn Henry, Kayleigh Didovic, Jessica Lee, and Sofia Barrios.
In the individual meets, Nicole Creed won a pair of races in the 200-yard freestyle and 100-yard backstroke with times of 2:04.79 and 59.40, respectively. Anzures came first in the 100-yard breaststroke while the Eagles took the top four spots, with Ward, Brittany Bean, and Didovic following Anzures.
Bean also came in second place in the 500-yard freestyle, while Allyson Lake came in second in the 100-yard backstroke, followed by Rosa. Lake also finished third in the 200-yard individual medley.
Teryn Henry will swim again in Regionals after finishing fifth in two of her races. Nicole Palacios came in eighth place in the 200-yard individual medley to advance. At the same time, Sophie Etchevers, Alexandra Martinez, Alejandra Silva, Elizabeth Olson, Viviana Fernandez, and Jessica Lee all swam well in their races to win Districts in a competition consisting of 14 schools.
Next, MSD will prepare for Regionals on Thursday, November 4, at Academic Village Pool in Pembroke Pines.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 news source, Parkland Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. He is now attending the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2022.01.28Marjory Stoneman Douglas Boys Wins 16th Basketball Game
- News2022.01.28Marjory Stoneman Douglas Soccer Advances to Another District Final
- News2022.01.24Marjory Stoneman Douglas Boys Basketball Picks Up 15th Win on Senior Night
- News2022.01.24Marjory Stoneman Douglas Girls Basketball Finishes Regular Season With Senior Night Win