By: Matt Rothman
Marjory Stoneman Douglas boys swim team will have several students competing in Regionals after their second-place finish in the District Championship.
Fort Lauderdale High School came in first place at the meet that consisted of 13 schools.
The Eagles three relay teams qualified for Regionals highlighted by a first-place finish in the 200-yard freestyle relay consisting of Alejandro Alvarez, Alexander Nichols, Wilson Ward, Miguel Kogoglu.
Frank Etchevers replaced Ward in the 200 free relay, helping MSD come in third with a time of 1:35.95 while Etchevers, Logan Walsh, Joshua Guo, and Joshua Park finished in fifth in the 400-yard freestyle relay.
Individually, the Eagles had swimmers advance with multiple students winning in different events. Ward had a first-place finish in the 100-yard breaststroke at 1:02.01. Alvarez finished second in the 100-yard freestyle and third in the 50-yard freestyle.
Kocoglu and Park came in fourth place in one of their races and then advanced in another race with another top ten finish alongside Nichols in the 100-yard freestyle.
Alvarez and Guo each moved on after swimming in the 50-yard freestyle. Alvarez came in third place, three spots ahead of his teammates.
Xyen Walker and Juan Valezero also had great times, contributing to the Eagles’ second-place finish.
Next, MSD will prepare for Regionals on Thursday, November 4, at Academic Village Pool in Pembroke Pines.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 news source, Parkland Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. He is now attending the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2022.01.28Marjory Stoneman Douglas Boys Wins 16th Basketball Game
- News2022.01.28Marjory Stoneman Douglas Soccer Advances to Another District Final
- News2022.01.24Marjory Stoneman Douglas Boys Basketball Picks Up 15th Win on Senior Night
- News2022.01.24Marjory Stoneman Douglas Girls Basketball Finishes Regular Season With Senior Night Win