By: Matt Rothman
Marjory Stoneman Douglas had homecoming this week, with the varsity football team losing 26-7 against Monarch High School on Friday night.
Lawrence Morantus scored the team’s first touchdown since Week 1 against McArthur, but MSD is now 0-4 this year. They will play in the Pig Bowl against Coral Springs High School in their next game at home on Friday, September 29, at 7 p.m. The Colts have lost their last eight games against MSD but won 42-0 in their previous game.
“Our kids have made some growth over the last four weeks playing a very difficult schedule, ” Head Coach Kieth Hindsley said. “Our defense played good at times and made some big stops. We do have to eliminate the big plays. Offensively, we have to develop and find that playmaker. We are leaving our defense on the field too long. We have a big week coming up with the annual Pig Bowl. Time for us to get better and compete.”
The JV football team recorded their first win of the season, winning 26-0 over Cypress Bay. They will play Coral Glades in their next game on Wednesday, October 4. The Jaguars are 0-2 this year with losses against Monarch and Deerfield Beach High School.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student. He also works for the Mohave Valley Daily News in Bullhead City, Arizona covering high school sports.
- NewsNovember 29, 2023Marjory Stoneman Douglas Soccer Face Coral Glades; Girls Basketball Begins Season
- NewsNovember 27, 2023Marjory Stoneman Douglas Boys Soccer Records 1st Win With Offensive Explosion
- NewsNovember 27, 2023Parkland Pokers 12U Baseball Team Set to Host Tryouts on Tuesday
- NewsNovember 27, 2023Marjory Stoneman Douglas Boys Basketball Opens Regular Season With Win