By: Sharon Aron Baron
Erica Melamed, a graduate Marjory Stoneman Douglas speaks out about the dangers her sister met while attending class in a portable building at the Parkland school during the shootings.
Because of the miscommunication that exists for those attending classes in portable buildings, the teacher and students – including her sister, did not know they needed return to the classroom when the situation changed to a ‘red alert’ from a fire alarm set by the shooter, as there was no communication outside. Once outside the portable classroom, they didn’t know that they needed to go back inside to barricade themselves. Instead, the teacher and students fled across a field, almost along the same path as the shooter who was fleeing to the nearby Walmart.
Melamed, who attends Florida International University, said she is asking for every school administration in the United States to sit down and come up with a solid blueprint protocol in the event of another school shooting.
- Sharon Aron Baron is a Parkland resident and editor of Talk Media. She has been covering Parkland news since 2012. Parkland Talk was created to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Parkland.
- News2021.01.26Local Online Boutique Takes ‘Stand With Parkland’ Cause to Heart
- Crime & Safety2021.01.26Parkland Doctor Arrested After Sending Explicit Photos to a Minor
- News2021.01.23Marjory Stoneman Douglas Climate Sustainability Club Holds Fundraiser
- News2021.01.213 Men Arrested for Loitering, Prowling, This Week in Parkland Crime