By: Sharon Aron Baron
Erica Melamed, a graduate Marjory Stoneman Douglas speaks out about the dangers her sister met while attending class in a portable building at the Parkland school during the shootings.
Because of the miscommunication that exists for those attending classes in portable buildings, the teacher and students – including her sister, did not know they needed return to the classroom when the situation changed to a ‘red alert’ from a fire alarm set by the shooter, as there was no communication outside. Once outside the portable classroom, they didn’t know that they needed to go back inside to barricade themselves. Instead, the teacher and students fled across a field, almost along the same path as the shooter who was fleeing to the nearby Walmart.
Melamed, who attends Florida International University, said she is asking for every school administration in the United States to sit down and come up with a solid blueprint protocol in the event of another school shooting.
- Sharon Aron Baron is a Parkland resident and editor of Talk Media. She has been covering Parkland news since 2012. Parkland Talk was created to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Parkland.
- Events2021.07.29Parkland BSO Holds Shred-A-Thon and Operation Medicine Cabinet July 31
- News2021.07.19Marjory Stoneman Douglas Eagle Regiment Holds Car Wash Fundraiser
- Events2021.07.13North Springs Improvement District Drinking Water Undergoing Routine Chlorination July 15
- Events2021.07.12Parkland BSO Holds Shred-A-Thon and Operation Medicine Cabinet July 31