By: Matt Rothman
The 2025 Original Florida Pokers competed in their final summer tournament in the BCS National Championship, going 7-4-1 from July 17-26 in Fort Myers.
During the Pokers’ wins, they outscored their opponents 60-10 during their seven wins behind dominating starting pitching, timely hitting, and aggressive base running. Breylynn Courtney recorded a pair of wins, while Thomas Giltner, Nick Diaz, Bennett Gary, and Carter Wojcik had one.
Offensively, Erick Torres tied for the team lead with nine RBIs and stole nine of the team’s 30 bases in the tournament. He also hit a home run with a pair from Carter Wojcik, who had nine RBIs. Jonathan Rodriguez and Diaz drove in five, while Gary, Cole Lasher, and Carter Derks had three. Joey Georgiou and Hunter Demetree combined to record five RBIs to help the Pokers finish the summer season with a record of 19-7-2.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student. He also works for the Mohave Valley Daily News in Bullhead City, Arizona covering high school sports.
- NewsMarch 1, 2024Marjory Stoneman Douglas Baseball Wins Another BCAA Championship
- NewsFebruary 29, 2024Marjory Stoneman Douglas Girls Soccer Season Ends in State Semifinals
- NewsFebruary 28, 20245 Parkland Travel Soccer Teams Win Championship
- NewsFebruary 25, 20242 Marjory Stoneman Douglas Wrestlers Advance to State Championship