By: Sharon Aron Baron
When Sadie Barton was asked as a preschool student what she wanted to be when she grew up, without hesitation, she said a singer. Now just a few short years later, the Parkland resident is starring in the Broward Center for the Arts production of Matilda Jr.
The Broward Center brings Barton and other talented students of the whimsical musical of Matilda Jr. to life in the Amaturo Theater in Fort Lauderdale. Featuring a cast 41 advanced musical theater students from the tri-county area in grades 4-12, the students, who were selected by audition, have been in workshop rehearsing this production for the past four months.
Sadie, who is the daughter of Warren Barton of Pine Tree Estates and Crystal Coan of Boca Raton, is a student at Hammock Pointe Elementary. She has been singing publicly since the second grade, is excited to be a part of the Matilda family, in her first-ever character performance. She shares her love for the performing arts with her love for horseback riding and her passion for learning, being a new inductee into the Honor Society at her school.
Her favorite part of being Matilda is “having so much fun with so many amazing people.”.
Matilda Jr. revels in the anarchy of childhood, the power of imagination and the inspiring story of a girl who dreams of a better life. Matilda is a little girl with astonishing wit, intelligence and psychokinetic powers who must contend with a mean headmistress who hates children and loves thinking up punishments for those who don’t abide by her harsh rules. Packed with high-energy dance numbers and catchy songs.
Performances are Wednesday, May 15 and Thursday, May 16 at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $12 with free lap seats available for children 24 months and under. Ticketmaster is the only official ticketing service of the Broward Center, Parker Playhouse and affiliated venues. Buy tickets online at BrowardCenter.org or Ticketmaster.com; by phone at 954-462-0222 or the Broward Center’s AutoNation Box Office. Know who you are buying from when you purchase tickets.
The Broward Center for the Performing Arts is located in the Riverwalk Arts & Entertainment District at 201 SW Fifth Avenue in Fort Lauderdale.
- Sharon Aron Baron is a Parkland resident and editor of Talk Media. she has been covering Parkland news since 2012. Parkland Talk was created to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Parkland.
- News2020.01.24Marjory Stoneman Douglas Calls Code Yellow After Students Jump Fence
- News2020.01.21Governor Ron DeSantis Appoints Ryan Petty to the State Board of Education
- News2020.01.21Lucky’s Closes South Florida Stores including Coral Springs Location
- News2020.01.20Parkland Retirement Senior Center Opens New Dog Park for Residents