Video of the Eagle Regiment Marching Band performing at the cereony on Wednesday.
By Sharon Aron Baron
The Alex Schachter Scholarship Fund donated $25,000 to the Marjory Stoneman Douglas Eagle Regiment Marching Band on Wednesday evening, followed by a special tribute performance.
The contribution to the Marjory Stoneman Douglas Eagle Regiment Marching Band provides vital financial support —allowing them to perform in the national arena.
Max Schachter, the father of Alex Schachter, one of the 17 who died in the high school shooting in 2018, is a national school safety advocate who donated in Alex’s memory.
Several months before the shooting, Alex played trombone in the band when they won their first state title.
“For Alex, being in the band enabled him to make lifelong friends, improve his self-esteem, and learn that a positive work ethic would lead to great achievements,” said Max Schachter.
Band directors Stephen K. Rivero and his son Robert A. Rivero are committed to bringing the “fun” element into all aspects of the program by providing life-changing experiences for all students.
“This donation, along with the fundraiser, will help propel the MSD band to new success and assist us in our pursuit to perform in the London New Years Day Parade, compete in the Bands of America Grand Nationals and earn a spot in the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade.”
Rivero said the donation comes at a high cost — but is the missing ingredient in its program.
“These kids are extremely talented, and it’s time to let the world know.”
Donations can be made at the Alex-Schachter-Scholarship-Fund.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 news source, Parkland Talk.
- Sharon Aron Baron is a Parkland resident and editor of Talk Media. She has been covering Parkland news since 2012. Parkland Talk was created to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Parkland.
- News2021.12.05Pets of the Week: Curtis and Gin Are Seeking their Forever Families
- News2021.11.30Amazon Driver Arrested for Property Damage and DUI inside of Parkland Community
- News2021.11.30Broward County Public Schools Data Hacked by Cybercriminals
- News2021.11.28Parkland Farmers’ Market Features Craft Fair and More on December 5