By: Sharon Aron Baron
The City of Parkland has just announced that for the eighth year in a row, they were presented an award from the Government Finance Officers Association of the United States and Canada for meeting the highest principles for governmental budgeting.
Finance Director Nancy Morando said that the first time the city was honored was back in 2008, and they have received it every year since. She said residents can be assured that city hall is a responsible steward of the city’s resources and that they operate in the “sunshine” as a matter of routine.
“What makes us most proud is this award validates our meticulous work and attention to detail,” said Morando. “We’re not just committed to fiscal responsibility, but carrying that out in an easy to understand and transparent way. This award reassures us that we’re achieving our intended goals.”
In order to receive the award from the Government Finance Officers Association (GFOA), the finance department had to satisfy nationally recognized guidelines for effective budget presentation designed to assess how well the city’s budget serves as a policy document, a financial plan, an operations guide and a communications device.
Budget documents must be rated “proficient” in all four categories and the 14 mandatory criteria within those categories. Award recipients are credited with having pioneered efforts to improve the quality of budgeting and provide an excellent example for other governments throughout North America.
“Receiving that validation from any entity is always nice,” said Morando. “Receiving it from GFOA, which serves all of North America, is quite an honor.”
- Sharon Aron Baron is a Parkland resident and editor of Talk Media. She has been covering Parkland news since 2012. Parkland Talk was created to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Parkland.
- News2021.09.16911 Dispatcher Recognized After Saving Life of Parkland Woman
- News2021.09.15Selection Committee Chooses Developer for Former Heron Bay Golf Course
- News2021.09.14Broward County Schools Participates in ‘Dads Take Your Child to School Day’
- News2021.09.11Marjory Stoneman Douglas JROTC Hold 20th Commemoration Ceremony for 9/11