By: Matt Rothman
The Marjory Stoneman Douglas baseball season may be over after winning States and Nationals, but the awards are just coming in.
Fitz-Gerald was one of six finalists and received nine first-place votes as well as a total of 135. He became the second coach to win the award multiple times, winning back in 2016.
Fitz-Gerald, though gives all the credit to his players.
“It’s all about the kids and what they were able to do,” he said. “They were able to win a State Championship, and I was just glad to be able to coach them.”
MSD hit .316 overall and had 22 home runs and 202 RBI’s in 30 games. Both Gavin Conticello and Chris McKenna signed to play college baseball. At the same time, Santiago Ordonez, Chris Arroyo, Anthony, Jake Clemente, Nikko Benestad, Devin Fitz-Gerald, and several other players will return in 2022.
On the mound, it was a historic season for MSD. The Eagles pitched to a 1.57 ERA led by Christian Rodriguez, Arroyo, and Sam Beir, who will all be back for another year.
MSD had only two losses all season, and one of them came to Palm Beach Gardens. The Eagles then returned the favor in the Regional Final on a walk-off home run from Ordonez.
With all the talent returning and Coach Fitz-Gerald at the helm, the Eagles have a great chance of making another successful season.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 news source, Parkland Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. He is now attending the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2021.08.01Anthony Rizzo Homers In First 2 Games with Yankees
- News2021.07.29Anthony Rizzo Involved in Stunning Trade From Chicago Cubs
- News2021.07.28Former Marjory Stoneman Pitcher Returns Home After Blockbuster Trade
- News2021.07.27Infielder Gavin Conticello Decides Future After Being Selected in MLB Draft