By: Matt Rothman
The Marjory Stoneman Douglas baseball team officially won their second national championship in six years. The Eagles finished the season ranked number 1 in the country by Perfect Game after a historic season that saw the Eagles win the State Championship.
MSD went 28-2 and had their only losses against Palm Beach Gardens and Westminster Christian Academy. However, after the Eagles won Districts and then their first two games of Regionals, MSD went on to win Regionals by beating Palm Beach Gardens on a walk-off home run from Santiago Ordonez.
The Eagles then won 3-2 in the State semifinals against Christopher Columbus High School and then beat Spruce Creek 5-1 in the final and earned themselves a National Championship.
“It means the world to our players, school, and community to be able to represent in the highest manner,” said Head Coach Todd Fitz-Gerald. “None of this would be possible without the coaches, players, parents, and administration at MSD. The support and following we received all year were amazing. I couldn’t be happier for the program and parkland community.”
For many of the players, they had a season to remember. Anthony Roman was named 2021 Southeast Florida Player of the Year after five home runs and 22 RBI’s.
They have five players in Gavin Conticello, Von Smeltzer, Kyle Morse, Tyler Novik, and Aiden Williams, all playing baseball in college. MSD also received great contributions from some of its younger players. They will return three of their top arms next season in Christian Rodriguez, Sam Beir, Jake Clemente, and Christian Arroyo.
Also, freshmen Devin Fitz-Gerald and Nikko Benestad played well late in the year and will have three more years on the varsity baseball team as the Eagles hope to repeat in 2022.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 news source, Parkland Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. He is now attending the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2022.01.28Marjory Stoneman Douglas Boys Wins 16th Basketball Game
- News2022.01.28Marjory Stoneman Douglas Soccer Advances to Another District Final
- News2022.01.24Marjory Stoneman Douglas Boys Basketball Picks Up 15th Win on Senior Night
- News2022.01.24Marjory Stoneman Douglas Girls Basketball Finishes Regular Season With Senior Night Win