By: Matt Rothman
It was a total team effort for the Marjory Stoneman Douglas baseball team to win another State Championship. Still, outfielder Roman Anthony had a sensational season and was awarded 2021 Southeast Florida Player of the Year.
“It is a great honor, but it wouldn’t be possible without the coaching staff and my teammates who helped me become better every day,” Anthony said.
With all the tremendous pitching that MSD had all year, they also had an explosive offense which Anthony led. Batting lead-off for most of the season, he hit .362, had five home runs, and drove in 22 RBI’s.
Anthony also was successful on all 26 of his stolen bases and had an on-base percentage of over .500 while playing terrific defense in the outfield.
After playing with his varsity coach Todd Fitz-Gerald on the Florida Pokers, his baseball journey has only gotten better over the years. After committing to playing at Ole Miss after his senior year, he looks forward to helping MSD return as State Champions in 2022.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 news source, Parkland Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. He is now attending the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2022.01.28Marjory Stoneman Douglas Boys Wins 16th Basketball Game
- News2022.01.28Marjory Stoneman Douglas Soccer Advances to Another District Final
- News2022.01.24Marjory Stoneman Douglas Boys Basketball Picks Up 15th Win on Senior Night
- News2022.01.24Marjory Stoneman Douglas Girls Basketball Finishes Regular Season With Senior Night Win