Rep. Deutch asking about Palestinian payments to terrorists during Middle East Subcommittee hearing in 2017.
By Sharon Aron Baron
U.S. Representative Ted Deutch (FL-22) was re-elected Chairman of the House Foreign Affairs Subcommittee on the Middle East, North Africa, and Global Counterterrorism on Thursday.
Originally elected to the subcommittee in 2019, Rep. Deutch, whose district represents Boca Raton, Coral Springs, Fort Lauderdale, Pompano Beach, and Parkland, said he was honored and grateful his colleagues elected him because the region is critically important to America’s national security.
In a statement on Thursday, Rep. Deutch said he would continue to lift up voices of people suffering in conflicts or fighting for their basic freedoms and stand up to protect fundamental human rights from Egypt to Saudi Arabia. They will focus critical attention on humanitarian crises and support diplomatic efforts to end conflicts in Yemen, Syria, and Libya.
In 2017, Rep. Deutch supported President Donald Trump’s decision to recognize Jerusalem as Israel’s capital. He wants to build on the Abraham Accords to further regional cooperation, enhance our country’s relationship with Israel, restore life-saving assistance to the Palestinian people, and preserve the two-state solution that will bring peace and prosperity to both peoples. He also supports diplomacy as the best path in preventing Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons.
Under the global counterterrorism jurisdiction, the subcommittee will focus on the growing threat of white supremacist terrorism and ensure our government’s counterterrorism policy reflects the current threat environment.
“In coordination with President Biden and Secretary Blinken, this subcommittee will support efforts to rebuild the State Department, reengage with the world through diplomacy, lead with American values, and make sure human rights are at the forefront of our foreign policy.”
Rep. Karen Bass: Africa, Global Health, and Global Human Rights
• Rep. Ami Bera: Asia, the Pacific, Central Asia, Nonproliferation
• Rep. William Keating: Europe, Energy, the Environment, and Cyber
• Rep. Joaquin Castro: International Development, International Organizations, and Global Corporate Social Impact
• Rep. Ted Deutch: Middle East, North Africa, and Global Counterterrorism
• Rep. Albio Sires: Western Hemisphere, Civilian Security, Migration, and International Economic Policy
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 news source, Parkland Talk.
- Sharon Aron Baron is a Parkland resident and editor of Talk Media. She has been covering Parkland news since 2012. Parkland Talk was created to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Parkland.
- News2021.06.18Broward County Public Schools Offer 39 Covid Vaccination Sites for Students 12 and Older
- News2021.06.16Rep Christine Hunschofsky Hosts Online Town Hall with 3 Broward County Agencies
- News2021.06.15Parkland BSO Holds Shred-A-Thon and Operation Medicine Cabinet July 31
- News2021.06.14Eats ‘n Beats Returns With The National Tom Petty Tribute Show