By Jill Fox
The Parkland City Commission honored multiple residents for their years of service to the community at their last meeting.
Andrew Zaukus received the Mayor’s Medal of Charitable Service for his contribution to the success of Parkland Buddy Sports.
The unique award, given at the mayor’s discretion, has only been awarded three times before in cases of extreme charitable service, and the actions of the retiring president fit the criteria. Previous recipients were Anthony Rizzo, Heather Khalil, and Harlene Zweig.
Presenter Vice Mayor Bob Mayersohn, who worked closely with Zaukus, said he wanted to ensure no player would ever have to pay to play in Parkland Buddy Sports.
As a coach, board member, and past president of the nonprofit organization, Zaukus spearheaded the effort to raise funds for its participants and reached out to the community because he wanted to give scholarships to families for additional therapies and summer camp.
“He has a kind, generous, and caring heart,” said Vice Mayor Mayersohn. “He may be retiring, but I know he won’t be able to stay on the sidelines for long.”
The commission recognized several advisory board members: Eric Young, for 13 years of service with the Parks and Recreation Advisory Board, and Gina Stephens, for 5 years of service with the Planning and Zoning Advisory Board.
Community Advisory Board members recognized by the commission for their years of service are Bob Marks, 12 years of service; Golden Johansson, 4 years of service; Megan Mila, 4 years of service; Deanna Galeno Russo, 3 years of service; and Natacha Worthington, 3 years of service.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 news source, Parkland Talk.
- Jill Fox is an Emmy Award-winning writer and producer. She has worked on the public relations side as well as the television side of marketing for NBC Universal. A true Floridian, Fox grew up in Ormond Beach and now resides in Parkland with her husband, Brian and their two children, Madden, 11 and Randi, 7.
- News2021.03.04Carmela Coffee Holds Beginners Mah Jongg Night on March 16
- News2021.03.03Parkland Preteen Collects LEGO Sets For Hospitalized Children
- News2021.03.02Feeling Lucky? Register For Pap Corps Bingo on March 17
- News2021.03.02MEDNAX Awards Four $20,000 Scholarships to Marjory Stoneman Douglas Seniors