By: Matt Rothman
After dominating in both Districts and Regionals, the Marjory Stoneman Douglas track and field team had several players compete in the State Championship on Saturday at the University of North Florida.
While the Eagles did not win any events, they had numerous players finish within the top five.
Isaiah Shaw, who had the chance to participate in multiple events after qualifying at Regionals, came in second place in the triple jump and then third in the 400 meters.
He was also a part of both the 4 x 400 and 4 x 800 relay team and Sheldon McCullum, Jasiah Clapp, and Bryan Gonzalez. The Eagles came in second in the 4 x 400 and third in the 4 x 800.
McCullum also competed individually in the 800 meters and finished in second place, one second behind Samuel Austin of Oviedo High School. McCullum once again set a personal record with a time of 1:52.06.
Ameer Hussain qualified for states and came in 12th in the high jump and 16th in the long jump.
For the girls, Jayah Portis participated in two events. She came in seventh place in both the long jump and triple jump.
MSD also had their 4 x 100 relay team of Selena Bronkhorst, Ananda Grissette, and Gianna Hansen placed in 12th with a time of 49.37.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 News Source, Parkland Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. He is now attending the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2021.05.22CHAMPIONS AGAIN: Marjory Stoneman Douglas Baseball Wins 2nd State Championship in 6 Years
- News2021.05.21BREAKING: Marjory Stoneman Douglas Baseball 1 Win Away From State Championship
- News2021.05.15Ordonez’s Walk-Off Home Run Wins Regionals for Marjory Stoneman Douglas Baseball
- News2021.05.13Marjory Stoneman Douglas Baseball Storms Back Late to Advance to Regional Final