By: Matt Rothman
With an incredible showing at the Regional Championship, the Marjory Stoneman Douglas boys and girls track and field won two events and finished in the top three in six events.
On a day that featured many personal bests, Sheldon McCullum had a historic day after qualifying with a first-place victory in the 800 meters.
McCullum set a personal best 1:53.55 in Districts and then ran a 1:53:69 on Friday. McCullum also qualified for states as a sophomore for Coral Glades in 2019.
“It’s actually been pretty amazing,” McCullum said. “With an injury last year and the season getting canceled due to covid, my training wasn’t really where I wanted it at the start of this season, but after a few months of training with Coach, I’m starting to get in really good shape.”
The Eagles also saw Isaiah Shaw finish first in the triple jump and second in the 400 meters. Both Shaw and McCullum, along with Jasiah Clapp and Bryan Gonzalez, qualified as they came in second in the 4 x 400 meters.
Ameer Hussain also will be running at States as he finished second in both the high and long jump.
On the girl’s team, Jayah Portis also advanced as she came in second place in the triple jump. She also came in third place in the long jump.
MSD saw their 4 x 100 relay team of Selena Bronkhorst, Ananda Grissette, and Gianna Hansen come in third. They also saw their team place seventh in the 4 x 800 and 13th in 4 x 400.
The Eagles will participate in the State Competition at the University of North Florida starting on Friday, May 6.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 News Source, Parkland Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. He is now attending the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2021.10.26Marjory Stoneman Douglas Girls Cross Country Wins District Championship
- News2021.10.26Barraza Leads Marjory Stoneman Douglas Boys Golf to District Championship
- News2021.10.25Marjory Stoneman Douglas Girls Golf Finishes 2nd in Districts; Advances to Regionals
- News2021.10.23Marjory Stoneman Douglas Football Earns Massive Win on the Road