By: Matt Rothman
Marjory Stoneman Douglas had a pair of football team shined on the field this week.
The varsity football team recorded their second win of the season on Friday against Boyd H. Anderson High School.
Joey Chiera opened the scoring with an interception return for a touchdown before Ryan Spallina recorded two rushing touchdowns to make it 20-0 at halftime. Lawrence Morantus and Ben McCullars added rushing scores in the second half.
“The kids keep getting better every week. The offensive line led the team, opening holes for our running game. The offense had over 350 yards rushing yards. The defense was tough all night, holding them to zero points and adding a pick-six. Good win for the kids and our program.”
The Eagles are now 2-5 this year and will play South Broward High School in their next game on Thursday, October 19, at 7 p.m. They started the season 5-0 but lost their last game against West Broward High School. MSD won 54-27 in their only meeting last year.
The junior varsity team beat Coral Springs High School 29-0 to move to 302 this year. Head Coach Chris Baldwin is extremely proud of his group and feels they are building something special.
“Our goal is to keep these kids here for three to four years, Baldwin said. “They have a great opportunity. It is great to see them growing up on the football field and in the classroom.”
They will play in their next game on Wednesday, October 18, at 6 p.m. against Piper High School. The Bengals are 4-0 this season with wins over South Plantation, Plantation, Coral Springs High School, and Coral Glades.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student. He also works for the Mohave Valley Daily News in Bullhead City, Arizona covering high school sports.
- NewsNovember 29, 2023Marjory Stoneman Douglas Soccer Face Coral Glades; Girls Basketball Begins Season
- NewsNovember 27, 2023Marjory Stoneman Douglas Boys Soccer Records 1st Win With Offensive Explosion
- NewsNovember 27, 2023Parkland Pokers 12U Baseball Team Set to Host Tryouts on Tuesday
- NewsNovember 27, 2023Marjory Stoneman Douglas Boys Basketball Opens Regular Season With Win