By: Matt Rothman
The Marjory Stoneman Douglas football team won their first game of the season, beating Coral Springs High School 23-14 in the annual Pig Bowl on Friday night.
The pig bowl tradition is a great rivalry,” Hindlsey said. “It’s a great win for our program. “Our kids were excited to see Coral Springs principal kiss the pig. Our defense played a great game putting our offense in position to score. Ryan Spalinna gave the offense a huge spark with him command of the offense. I’m very proud of our kids! We challenged them to keep getting better every week.”
MSD led 2-0 at halftime, with the only points coming on a safety. CSHS thought answered with a touchdown and two-point conversion to go up 8-2. However, the Eagles responded with a pair of touchdowns to go up by eight. Spallina had his first of two rushing touchdowns, while MSD also recovered a fumble for a score. The Colts tacked on a late touchdown but fell by nine.
The Eagles are now 1-4 this year and will play Jupiter High School in their next game on Friday, October 13, at 6:30 p.m. The Warriors come into the game with a record of 3-1 but lost 32-0 in their only meeting last year against MSD.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student. He also works for the Mohave Valley Daily News in Bullhead City, Arizona covering high school sports.
- NewsNovember 29, 2023Marjory Stoneman Douglas Soccer Face Coral Glades; Girls Basketball Begins Season
- NewsNovember 27, 2023Marjory Stoneman Douglas Boys Soccer Records 1st Win With Offensive Explosion
- NewsNovember 27, 2023Parkland Pokers 12U Baseball Team Set to Host Tryouts on Tuesday
- NewsNovember 27, 2023Marjory Stoneman Douglas Boys Basketball Opens Regular Season With Win