By: Sharon Aron Baron
The Nicholas Dworet Memorial Fund has announced the recipients of their 2020 college scholarship awards.
The Memorial Fund is named after Coral Springs resident Nicholas Dworet, who dreamed of swimming in the Olympics. At the age of 17, his young life was stolen from him and 16 others when a gunman opened fire at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School on February 14, 2018.
Dworet became one of the best swimmers for TS Aquatics in Tamarac and competed for Marjory Stoneman Douglas in the 4A State competition in 2017, finishing in first place. His coach, Andre Bailey, believes that if he continued the hard work, he would have potentially been in the Olympics representing Sweden — his mother’s birthplace, as he was one of the fastest in his age group.
This year seven students received $1,000 scholarships in Nick’s honor. Two of the scholarships were awarded to members of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas swim team, three to members of TS Aquatics swim club, and two to Broward County high school swimmers, which is a new scholarship for 2020.
The recipients are as follows:
Kenan Kocoglu (New Jersey Institute of Technology) – Also a member of TS Aquatics
Penelope Jacobson (Brandeis University)
TS Aquatics Scholarships:
Luis Bucaro (University of Indianapolis)
Delaney Biro (Florida International University)
Emme Ham (Barton College)
Broward County Scholarships:
Leonardo Mateus (Yale University)
Chloe Carignan (Birmingham-Southern College)
To donate to the Nicholas Dworet Memorial Fund, visit their website here.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 News Source Parkland Talk.
- Sharon Aron Baron is a Parkland resident and editor of Talk Media. She has been covering Parkland news since 2012. Parkland Talk was created to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Parkland.
- News2021.06.12Parkland Brings “Moana” to Free Movies in the Park Night
- News2021.06.09University Hospital begins using 3rd Robotic System for Minimally Invasive Surgery
- News2021.06.09Parkland Resident and Co-Owner of Doris Italian Market Wins Triathlon
- News2021.06.05Girl Scouts Thank the Community in the Most Generous Way: With Cookies