By Kevin Deutsch
A student was criminally charged by Broward Sheriff’s Office deputies Tuesday for assaulting a teacher at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, authorities said.
A ninth-grader at MSD is charged with felony battery on a school employee and simple battery, a BSO spokesperson said Tuesday.
According to a BSO arrest report, the student “intentionally attacked and struck the victim…numerous times about her head and face with her hands.”
“During this unprovoked attack, the defendant….placed the victim…in a headlock and bit her right pinky finger,” deputies wrote.
She also struck the teacher on her left shoulder with a cell phone numerous times, causing redness and bruising, according to the report.
The victimized teacher is Sharon Cutler, an Academy of Finance teacher and DECA Advisor who is also the wife of Parkland Commissioner Ken Cutler.
In an email to parents, MSD Principal Michelle Kefford said the incident happened at the end of the 8th period.
“We are grateful there were no serious injuries,” wrote Kefford. “I want to assure you that we are taking this incident very seriously and working with law enforcement in its investigation of the incident. In addition, the student responsible will face appropriate school disciplinary consequences.”
According to Kefford, another student was also struck during the incident.
The incident is the second physical confrontation reported to authorities in recent weeks.
On Oct. 15, the assistant principal reported to BSO deputies that a student and teacher got involved in a tussling match over school property. The student was suspended and removed from class.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 news source, Parkland Talk.
- Kevin Deutsch is an award-winning crime journalist and author. A graduate of Florida International University, Kevin has worked on staff at The Miami Herald, New York Daily News, and The Palm Beach Post.
- News2021.12.06Parkland Crime Update: Paintball Incident And Damage to Holiday Display
- News2021.12.03Marjory Stoneman Douglas Student Arrested for School Shooting Threat
- News2021.11.29Parkland Crime Update: Student Cited for Bringing Alcohol to Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School
- News2021.11.29Boca Woman Tried to Bribe Her Way Out of Drunk Driving Arrest in Parkland