By Martin Lenkowsky
Two events are scheduled in Parkland on Wednesday, Feb. 14, to commemorate the 6th anniversary of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas shooting that took the lives of 17 people and left another 17 injured.
Forever in Our Hearts
The first event, Forever in Our Hearts, will be held from noon to 4:00 p.m. at Eagles’ Haven, 5655 Coral Ridge Drive, in Coral Springs.
A candle-lighting ceremony and dove release is planned starting at 12:30 p.m., says Eagles’ Haven director Rebecca Jarquin. It will take place in the parking lot adjacent to the facility.
The Eagles’ Haven Wellness Center opened in March 2019 to offer wellness and restore hope to the Parkland/Coral Springs communities following the MSD shooting.
City of Parkland Commemoration
At 5:30 p.m., a second commemoration honoring the victims and the MSD community will be hosted by the city of Parkland at the Amphitheatre at Pine Trails Park, 10559 Trails End, in Parkland.
The city’s memorial will feature a drum circle, photos of each of the shooting victims, therapy dogs, and videos speaking about each victim.
According to the City of Parkland, there might be traffic congestion in and around the park due to this event. Motorists are encouraged to carpool, allow extra time, exercise caution, and be patient and understanding.
- Martin Lenkowsky moved to Coral Springs from NYC in 1982. He has a bachelor’s degree from Brooklyn College. He has been both writer and editor for a number of South Florida publications since 1983. He considers features writing his specialty.
- NewsFebruary 13, 2024Parkland Marks 6th Anniversary of Marjory Stoneman Douglas Shooting with 2 Commemorations
- NewsJanuary 31, 2024Parkland Marks 6th Anniversary of Marjory Stoneman Douglas Shooting with Dual Commemorations
- NewsJanuary 30, 2024Yale Whiffenpoofs Scheduled to Perform in Parkland
- NewsDecember 11, 2023Chabad of Parkland Acquires 100-Acre Campsite in Central Florida for Enhanced Jewish Education and Recreation